Dear Little Man,
As I’m sure you’ll hear many years from now, the world was set to end (for the hundredth time) on December 21, 2012. That’s today. I haven’t perished yet, as far as I can tell.
J and I planned out Christmas get-together last week and without really thinking, we said, “Hey, Friday works for me!” not remembering that “Friday” happened to be the end-all-be-all of world happenings.
Here is why I don’t accept the December 21st apocalypse theory (a.k.a The No-pocalypse):
– I haven’t graduated college yet. I’m set to graduate in May. I want recognition for all of the gray hairs I’ve earned in the past four years. The world cannot end until I graduate.
– I already bought Christmas presents with what little money I have. I did not buy presents with the anticipation that they would incinerate before they could reach their recipients.
– You can’t rent a car until you’re 25. For some reason, I’ve always wanted to achieve that milestone.
– I want you to be old enough to understand your circumstances: all about your adoption, how it came about, everything since then and everything in between :)
– I want you to be old enough to hug me because you wanted to, and not because I chased you down.
– I want to be a grandma someday. Not for 25+ years mind you, but still.
– I STILL haven’t found out who Ted’s wife is.
– I want to know how mortgages work before I die.
– Actually, maybe I don’t.
– I have never been to see the circus. Neither have you. Go together?
– I’ve always wanted to plan one of those super cute, kid birthday parties that you see on super-mom blogs and Pinterest. You know, the ones with the incredible handmade decorations, adorable cupcake toppers, cute gift bags, etc. In other words, I want to plan a party like J can.
– I’ve never read The Lord of the Rings series. The Boyfriend has informed me that this is unacceptable and possible grounds for a break-up. But I went to see The Hobbit with him earlier this week, so I think we’re still solid.
– I want to see what you’ll look like in a year. And in five years. And ten years. And twenty.
– I want to watch you graduate!
– I want to see if Sports Man grows up to work for ESPN someday. I’m putting money on that.
– J’s craft shop Out On A Limb is just getting started, and is WAY to cute to go up in flames today.
– Because Grandma M, Pop-Pop and I still haven’t decorated our Christmas tree yet.
– The Boyfriend is in a far away land called Cleveland, or The Part of Ohio Where the Browns Are. I’d at least like to give him a good-bye kiss.
– I want you to fall asleep on me like you did when you were a baby, just one more time. It’s the sweetest thing ever.
– I want to provide you with a half-sibling (or two) someday :)
– Because watching you grow is way too much fun to stop now.
But here’s the really good news about today. Whether it’s the end of the world or not, I get to spend it with you :)
And no matter what day it is — universally significant or not — there’s no place I’d rather be than with you and the rest of my lovely (extended) family!
Happy No-pocalypse Day!